Present and historical environmental survey of the Poquoson River, York County, Virginia and the Warwick River; Newport News, Virginia : with special reference to biotic communities and the effects of alum discharge
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Special report in applied marine science and ocean engineering ; no. 276.
The objectives of this study were:
1. to determine the areal extent of discharged materials within each of the rivers using the aluminum:silicon ratio as an indicator;
2. to evaluate the benthic invertebrate communities within each of the rivers;
3. to determine whether there are differences in the productivity of the benthic algal and planktonic communities which can be attributed to the discharge of alum sludge in each river;
4. to evaluate the condition of the marsh communities in each river near the filtration plant;
5. to review historical biological data for the Poquoson and Warwick Rivers and to relate the biological communities within these two systems to communities in subestuaries not receiving alum sludge discharges;
6. to evaluate the probable sediment yield from the drainage areas of the two reservoirs in the absence of a dam using the STORM model;
7. to identify mitigation alternatives and evaluate their ecological implications.
Biotic communities -- Virginia -- Poquoson River; Biotic communities -- Virginia -- Warwick River; Water quality -- Virginia -- Warwick River; Environmental quality; Alum -- Environmental aspects -- Virginia
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
Diaz, R. J., Roberts, M. H., Silberhorn, G. M., & Anderson, G. F. (1985) Present and historical environmental survey of the Poquoson River, York County, Virginia and the Warwick River; Newport News, Virginia : with special reference to biotic communities and the effects of alum discharge. Special report in applied marine science and ocean engineering ; no. 276.. Virginia Institute of Marine Science, William & Mary. https://doi.org/10.21220/V5J42G