Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Coastal Hydrodynamics and Sediment Dynamics (CHSD)
All samples contained within (37º39’N, 76º54’W), (37º16’N, 76º20’W), (37º8’N, 76º24’W), (37º34’N, 76º0’W)Tower Coordinates:Tower 1: Built November, 2008, destroyed during a winter storm 2015: (37º 20.506‘ N, -76º 37.475’ W)Tower 2: Rebuilt July, 2015, destroyed during a winter storm 2018: (37º 20.586‘ N, -76º 37.543’ W)This data was collected at Tower 2.
Dataset consists of data collected during a tower deployment of multiple ONSET light sensors at varying depths to monitor light intensity and temperature.
ONSET light sensor towers were deployed for a prolonged amount of time to monitor light intensity and temperature. Because the towers were deployed for longer periods of time, biofouling did occur. There was no anti-fouling paint applied to the optical sensors. It should be noted that data occurring closer to the start date of the deployment is more reliable than data collected later in the deployment. Any excessive biofouling of the tower should be listed in the logbook during retrieval.
List of folders:
• Surface – This folder includes data from the surface light sensor.
• Water Level – This folder includes data from the light sensor at the water level.
• X cm – These folders include data from the light sensors at the corresponding depth listed in the folder name.
• Li-COR – These folders include light intensity data from a Li-COR cast during deployment and retrieval of the light sensor tower.
• Logbook – Hand-written field notes and instrument setup documents. This file also contains the deployment log and set-up of tower instruments. All field notes and complications/observations are included here.
Sediment transport, suspended sediment, ADV, acoustic Doppler velocimeter, CTD, conductivity, temperature, depth, light intensity
Master Sampling Spreadsheet and Timeline for MUDBED Project
Tripod Deployment: YR160328 to YR160520, ADV, Clay Bank, York River Virginia
Grace M. Massey ORCID ID: 0000-0001-7936-1586
Kelsey A. Fall ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5496-433X
Carl T. Friedrichs ORCID ID: 0000-0002-1810-900X
NSF grants OCE-0536572, OCE-1061781, and OCE-1459708
Massey, G.M., Fall, K.A., and Friedrichs, C.T., 2022. Tower Deployment: YR160406 to YR160420, Light Sensor, Clay Bank, York River Virginia. Virginia Institute of Marine Science, William & Mary.