Aims & Scope
The Journal of School-based Counseling Policy and Evaluation (JSCPE) is an open access professional journal of research, theory, and practice that disseminates scholarship on the intersection of school-based counseling policy and evaluation with an emphasis on enhancing counseling practices and supporting the lives of students, families, and communities. The breadth of this international journal includes the following fields: preschool, primary/elementary, and secondary school-based counseling, policy development and research, evaluation and accountability research. All research methodologies are considered, including qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods. The journal’s principal goals are to disseminate:
- High quality school-based counseling research related to policy and evaluation
- Innovations in school-based counseling policy and evaluation
- Evidence-based conceptual or theoretical approaches to school-based counseling research and evaluation methods related policy studies
- Accountability methods in school-based counseling policy and evaluation
Types of Manuscripts
Potential contributors (i.e., counselor educators, professional counselors, and graduate students) are invited to focus their manuscript on one of these four broad goal areas above. The journal welcomes contributions that are:
- Empirical studies: Manuscripts that provide empirical data on the topic of school-based counseling and evaluation. JSCPE is open to quantitative, qualitative, mixed-method, and single case design research manuscripts.
- Conceptual or forum pieces: Manuscripts that offer practical, theoretical, or discussion based information with application and implications to school-based counseling policy and evaluation.
- Philosophical papers: Manuscripts that focus on advancing the study and discussion around school-based counseling policy and evaluation from diverse standpoints of philosophical perspective.
- Innovative and evidence-based practices: Manuscripts that describe the use of novel and innovative school-counseling evidence-based practices with a focus on practitioners' application. JSCPE is open to conceptual, quantitative, qualitative, mixed-method, and single case design research manuscripts in this area.
- Profiles of leaders in policy and evaluation: Manuscripts that include interviews with current and past school-based counseling leaders that have significantly impacted the field. These manuscripts should include brief biographies of the interviewee and a transcribed interview on the topics of policy and evaluation in education.
- Book reviews: Manuscripts that critiqually examine a book in the field of school-based counseling policy and evaluation. These manuscripts include a summary of the book, a highlight of the book's strengths and weaknesses, and a description of the value that readers might find from reading it.