Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Blue crabs have increased in abundance in Chesapeake Bay since 1941, but In that year an acute shortage developed which threatened the entire fishery. 'IThe serious decline of the fishery, which began in 1940, demonstrated the necessity of finding a way of assuring rapid recovery and preventing a recurrence of similar shortages. One significant step in this direction was taken by the Commission of Fisheries of Virginia in 1941, upon the request of the Hampton Crab Packers Association. A large sanctuary was established at the mouth of the bay, closed to crab fishing during July and August, to protect egg-bearing or "sponge" crabs. This brood-stock area, containing about 400 square miles, was continued during 1942, and in 1943 the closed season was extended to include April, May, and June. The possible effectiveness of the sanctuary for increasing and maintaining the crab population became promptly a subject of considerable debate.
Blue crab fishery
Contribution (Virginia Fisheries Laboratory) ; no. 15.
Sandoz, Mildred, Steps toward crab conservation in Chesapeake Bay (1943). The Commonwealth, 10(7), 9-11.